Tuesday 22 March 2011

Arriving and Reflecting - the Last Post

Well, it looks as though I'm just in time with finishing the 23 Things programme and have caught the last post:

Postbox, London SE3 by EEPaul, on Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 2.0 Generic License  by  EEPaul 

In my first blog entry, I referred to the programme as a pilgrimage and that's what it has been like, in some ways - a shared journey, where the participants became a micro community within the vast Web 2.0 community.  We've worked together, learned from each other and there's always been someone to ask for guidance if I didn't interpret the instructions correctly.   Social networking tools, by their nature, have to be shared.

So, looking back:

Which thing/s have I found most useful?
Firefox, iGoogle, Doodle, Flickr and Twitter

Which thing/s have I  most enjoyed doing?
Exploring Flickr, YouTube - that part has been particularly entertaining but also good to see how they might be used in work situations.  I also like my iGoogle pages and the features of Firefox, and will continue to use them.

Which thing/s will I persist with?
Firefox, iGoogle, Doodle, Flickr and Twitter.  I haven't made much use yet of RSS feeds but plan to go back to those. Diigo and SlideShare are also worth a second look.

Do I think web 2.0 in general has a role in the future of libraries?
I don't know about the future - we may already be starting to move towards Web 3.0 - but Web 2.0 is certainly here now and we can't ignore it.

Final reflections
I've enjoyed exploring the various Web2.0 tools, even though I haven't had as much time to spend on the programme as I would have liked. It has been a very useful taster and I've learned a lot.  I'm not a natural blogger, as I'm somewhat reticent, and happier with keeping a private reflective journal than something in the public domain, and I've sometimes wondered whether anyone actually would want to read it.  However, I've enjoyed reading other people's blogs and am beginning to see the possibilities.  Towards the end of the programme I ran out of time and my blog postings have become shorter.  However, even I have become a bit more confident about blogging and have found satisfaction in choosing a template, uploading a few photos and personalising a tool which might at first seem somewhat impersonal.

So, lots to think about and reflect on, and a big thank you to the 23 Things Team.


Reflections of Cranstackie in a small lo by Shandchem, on Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License  by  Shandchem 

No comments:

Post a Comment